Hi All, from an ENTIRELY selfish point of view, does anyone think a boatyard can refuse to launch someone over this COVID 19 business? I mean, do they have any lawful capacity to refuse - and who pays the storage if they do? On a less selfish note, I sincerely hope you are all following the advice and keeping safe,
Not really, depends what is in your contract or what you agreed. At present we only have been given guidance on travel. It is not anyone elses business where you go or what for.
That said, some business carry on as normal. Ours has shut for the foreseeable future. no shows or events at all. its not law, its guidance. oh and common sense.
Well, as you know Stephen, common sense is not my strong point 😊 I've been using that yard for three years, never seen a contract. I've seen greedy though
Got this on the 16th from my marina in Valencia. I would expect the same in the uk eventually.
- Following instructions from Guardia Civil, navigation is forbidden and all the boats have to remain in its mooring until new order.
- Only clients who live in their boats can stay in them
- Users who do not live or work in La Marina can´t have access without agreement of Guardia Civil
- To guarantee the security, order, and services in La Marina we will work in security, cleaning works and maintenance.
- Sport Activity companies will remain closed
- In offices and marineria we will work (guard services) to guarantee the surveillance of boats and to receive documentation and post
- It is responsibility of freelance workers to decide the necessity or urgency of working in a boat.
We want to transmit to all our clients and users that your boats are in good hands and we thank the solidarity of you all who contribute staying at home.
As long as it isn't before Tuesday. Although, no one will see me sculling out to Roquetta on a moonless night 😏
I was working part time but the retail business I work for has had to suspend operations. People don't seem to know that there is a furniture shortage out there and they should panic buy!
The current Boatyard policy is below. I shall go down to work on the boat until the policy changes - as I fear it will. I am working with the boat under cover and on my own and do not encounter anybody nearer than a fathom away.
In all contracts there is usually a force majeure clause - meaning that the contract can be cancelled if an event outside the control of one party to the contract causes them to be unable to fulfil their part of the agreement.
Justin, as long as you keep your distance whilst they launch the boat - all should be well. Oh, and a decent sanitise of the boat would be good. Scrub down with detergent. Good luck. Me, I'm weeks away from launch.
The Elephant Boatyard Policy on COVID-19 issued on 18th March 2019
PLEASE DO NOT come onto any of The Elephant Boatyard premises if you feel ill and especially if you have either of the main symptoms of COVID-19 which are a high temperature or a new and continuous cough, and that also extends to include you if anyone in your household has those symptoms.
The site will remain open, it is a boatyard.
The office will remain open but we ask you to limit the number of people visiting at any time to one person if possible. Hand sanitiser stations are due to arrive any day and will be available by all doors.
Please wash your hands regularly in accordance with the government guidelines.
Everything is very negative at the moment but let’s look forward. If this crisis lasts up to 16 weeks as predicted then we will celebrate getting back to normality with drinks here at the yard!
And finally, we appreciate that some of our owners may find it difficult to get out and about over the coming weeks. If you are in any difficulties or need any assistance with your boat or shopping, supplies etc, please get in touch with the Office and we will do our very best to try and help.
Please stay safe everyone.
Tom, Matt and all the team
I guess it was inevitable.
Yup, just called the yard. Launching has ceased. I missed it by one day it seems. Very disappointing. They said they will charge storage at a reduced rate until they can launch me, which is something I suppose. Stay safe everyone,
Chances of us being able to travel back to Scandinavia this summer look bleak. Might have been able to launch but can't get to her. A summer of intensive gardening perhaps!
Tammie Norie is ashore in a cradle (dry-sailing contract) in Southern Brittany so we shan't be seeing her for a while but I am relieved she is unlikely to come to any harm there.
Meanwhile, we have more pressing matters to think about such as foraging for food and toilet paper, and starting a vegetable patch!
I'm very pleased that we had our excellent Twister gathering in London before Covid appeared. Well done Peter!
Good luck to you all.
Aeolis was due to travel on a Tuesday but Baltic Wharf closed the Monday before. That is some bad timing. I would not have made much difference since it was going to put her on another yard. We will just have to concentrate on saying safe for the next season..... or sail in winter.
Must have been quite strange sailing off from the yard knowing all around you would be quite. Ive got Helix on the hard at the Elephant boatyard, think she is going to be quite lonely for some time. Did you have some nice work done while you were there.
Stephen I was just lucky to be on the water for a while. The boat was hit on the moorings in the Beaulieu last spring by a large mother boat. At the time I was a wee bit mad but the insurers allowed me to sail the season and have the repairs done over winter. It all turned out quite well. The bow roller had been bent like a banana, it was never the best design, the anchor would fall off it sometimes when hauling. So I had some modifications made. I was always I little concerned as to what lay behind the stem head fitting anyway, so we were able to have a look. As it turned out the stem head was fine but the gunwales or shelf if you prefer had some rot at the bow so we were able to address that together with having the topsides repainted not a bad deal really .
Well, I stand corrected. The yard has emailed, I now have access to my boat by appointment and for essential maintenance only. AND they've said they won't be charging extra storage fees for launch delays caused by COVID. Very very decent of them and a great relief
PS I've just had a call from the yard to ay that they will launch me next Wednesday. Hurrah!
Anna Grigg, Simon Trevett